Although ship design has evolved over time, the function of the bridge has not changed. This was the navigational control centre of the ship and given it’s positioning, provides a commanding view forward and from either side of the ship. From here, instructions could be relayed to the engine room as well as other areas across the ship.
Aboard Titanic in 1912 the Navigating Bridge housed a number of telegraphs which relayed controls and was open at the sides. One of the ship’s three wheels was also located in the bridge but it was largely used for maneuvering when docking. During the voyage, all steering was conducted from within the Wheelhouse. On Titanic II while the purpose and structure of the Bridge was largely retained it has been designed and configured to comply with current regulations, technology and practices. Some of the elements will be retained purely for historic significance but it will not be functional.